There are many great business processes that the rest of the world doesn’t know about. One of my favorites is Toyota’s “5 Whys.”
The idea is to ask yourself “why” 5 times in order to get to the root of the problem.
For example, a couple of years ago I didn’t want to go to a meeting.
I was having trouble figuring out why, so I used the “5 Whys” method.
1. Why don’t I want to go to this meeting? – Because it’s going to be worthless.
2. Why: Because everyone always talks about the same problems.
3. Why: Because I want to lead the meeting to be more productive, but I’m scared.
4. Why: Because I don’t want to get laughed at.
5. Why: Because my speaking confidence isn’t as strong as it should be.
I realized that I needed to work on my speaking skills.
I found a Toastmasters club that week and started the following week. I’ve practiced my speaking abilities for the past 3 years and now I’m confident in my talents.
What do you struggle with at work?
Ask yourself the “5 Whys.” Anyone brave enough to do it in the comment section?
* Better act soon. My teleseminar, "How to Kick Butt at Work and Be Happy Too" is closing on Friday at 9pm EST. If you want some useful tips on how to do amazing work that doesn’t stress you out then click here to find out more details.
* One of my favorite blog posts in the past few days has been, Business advice from a 94-year old barber. It's a simple post, highlighting a wise man.
If you enjoyed this post then you will probably like this one too:
Share this Post