7 Simple Ways to Live Your Passions

live-passions-whnWhy do you choose to get out of bed in the morning?

You may do it because of:

> Love
> Habit
> Fear
> Excitement
> Obligation
> Dedication

Whatever gets you out of bed, it’s enough to keep you moving forward. At what point do you ask yourself…

Am I happy with my career?

This is the question that we all ask ourselves, but we often don’t take the time to figure out the answer. It’s just easier to keep doing the same boring stuff. Why put pressure on ourselves to change when we aren’t sure what will make us happy?

This is the type of thinking that prevents a person from moving forward.

You have an opportunity to create the career that will make you happy if you start right now.

1. Develop Your Superpowers

You may have been writing a while or photographing since you were little, but you haven’t been able to use these skills at your job. No more. You have to find a way to use the skills that you’ve developed over the past years.

These skills will help you shine at work. If you are too busy with mind numbing work - stop it. You must cut out that stuff because it’s not getting you any closer to your goals. If you really want to tread water and wait for someone to save you, go right ahead. But if you want to improve your career and find more engaging work, you have to use your superpowers every single day.

2. Understand Your Needs

If you aren’t happy at work then you aren’t getting your needs met. This can be tricky because our needs are always changing and sometimes the needs we think will make us happy won’t. The idea is to make the best guess of what makes you happy and figure out how to get these needs met at work.

3. Match Your Strengths with Your Passions

Your strength may be writing, but you don’t love to write. This happens all the time. You have to blend your strengths with your passions so you can do great work that gets you motivated.

Maybe you like to speak to get your point across. Then use this strength to help you do more of the work that matters to you.

4. Start Today

Instead of waiting around expecting someone to notice, take charge and do the work. If you do a great job, your clients/co-workers/boss will want you to do more of this amazing work because they see great results.

5. Fail Fast

If you think you are great at planning meetings but something always seems to go wrong, then maybe it’s time to accept that this is a passion of yours but not a superpower.

6. Adjust Course

You can’t be good at everything. You can’t be passionate about everything. When you fail at something, leave it behind and adjust. Figure out what makes you a Linchpin (Amazon affiliate link) within your work. When you do great work, it gives you more leverage to do work that excites you.

7. Work Through the Dip

Every job has its grind. We can’t all jump into the CEO seat and run things. We need to put in our time and work on our skills. Just because you have a string of bad days, don’t let this throw you off course. Keep working hard and you will develop skills that you never realized you had. These skills will bring new possibilities into your career.

* Don’t miss out on any more great articles. Sign up for my RSS feed or email feed and you’ll stay updated on the latest tips and ideas to bring more happiness to your working life.

* Tim Brownson had a guest post that talked about confidence and fear. Click here to check it out. The guest author went crazy overboard giving a ton of value in his responses.

If you enjoyed this post then you will probably like this one too:

> 5 Ways to Conquer Your Fears

> How to Use the 5 Whys to Discover Your True Needs

Image courtesy of Korso87